What is the Adventure Bay Charters Marine Volunteer Program?
The Adventure Bay Charters Marine Volunteer Program (MVP) is an opportunity to live the dream of working with Australia’s wild marine animals. Your commitment will contribute greatly to research and education to create respect and the promotion of these inspiring apex marine animals. Our core beliefs of sustainability and environmental protection are derived from the circular principles of research, respect and promotion. As a commercial business we work with other tour operators and environmental groups who subscribe to the same ethos of best practice and the highest standards when it comes to animal welfare, animal rights and lowest environmental impact. The work completed on these tours aids the research and science communities and is empowering and important to be part of.
When agreeing to participate in our MVP, you are declaring that you have a passion for our environment, a strong connection to our oceans, and want to use your own platforms to further our goal, which is to PROTECT and PROMOTE. By having you as a Marine Volunteer, we are inviting you onboard and making you a part of the Adventure Bay Charters family. We are hoping to invoke a greater respect and love for the oceans, and in recruiting you, we would hope that you would go forward and help spread this message about Ocean Protection through your socials, your actions and your choices. On the day of the tour, you will be responsible for and not limited to:
- Assisting with Departure lounge
- Interacting with customers and fulfilling their needs
- Food preparation (Teas and coffees, preparing morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- Preparation for tours (Sizing up wetsuits, flippers, goggles)
- Photography (Taking photos throughout the day)
- Cage and Aqua Sub preparation/pack up and daily assistance (Helping customers in/out the cage, fitting weight belts, goggles, regulators – White Shark Tour ONLY)
- Cleaning (Before/during/after the tours)
*Responsibilities will vary departing on the tour: White Shark Tour/Swim with Sea Lion Tour*
Marine Volunteers offers you:
- A once in a lifetime opportunity to be apart of a Multi Award Winning Tourism Business
- The experience and opportunity to work a day in the life of our Adventure Bay Charters and Marine Biologist crew members, gaining a wealth of knowledge about Port Lincoln, the Ocean and the creatures that we fight to protect.
- An exclusive chance to be a Marine Volunteer and customer at a discounted rate. Perfect for a traveller or backpacker!
- Unique opportunities to encounter Great White Sharks, Australian Sea Lions, Bottlenose Dolphins, White Belly Sea Eagles and much more!
- Lifelong memories and friends made with our ABC crew, as well as a fantastic experience to add on your resume. You will become an honorary Shark Warrior and ambassador.
- Adventure Bay Ambassadors can earn commissions for recommendations that result in sales or bookings of our tours and activities.
- Majority of our staff have been marine volunteers, this is a good pathway into a career in Marine Tourism.
Who can become a Marine Volunteer?
When becoming a Marine Volunteer with Adventure Bay Charters we ask that you are 17 years old and above and have respect for our company. We are a bait and burley FREE company, with a passion for the environment. We want you to come with a positive and friendly attitude and have the ability to interact with people.
- Marine Volunteer Uniform to make you feel like a part of the team
- Discounted merchandise
- Boat safety induction and training
- Meals included whilst onboard
- National Park Fee Included
- Free photos/videos from the days you were onboard
- Certificate of service upon completion
- Discounted surface cage
- The chance to go into the bottom cage if having the appropriate certifications
White Shark Tour (Per Day)
- Onboard Cost: $150.00
- Surface Cage: $150.00
- Bottom Cage: $150.00 (Maximum 1 dive – Padi Open Water Ticket or equivalent)
Swim with Sea Lion Tour (Per Day)
- Onboard Cost: $100.00
Terms and Conditions:
- We will only operate our tours if we have minimum numbers. On a White Shark Tour we will be guaranteed to depart with 9 full paying customers and on a Swim with Sea Lion Tour we will be guaranteed to depart with 6 full paying customers (Marine Volunteers are not included in customer numbers).
- We will only take a MAXIMUM of 3 Marine Volunteers on a White Shark Tour and a MAXIMUM of 1 Marine Volunteer on a Swim with Sea Lion Tour at any one time.
- As a Marine Volunteer, you are to be treated as a part of the crew. Therefore, you will be allowed access into the surface cage and bottom cage once the full paying customers have been. These same rules apply with our staff.
- We will not be responsible for your hotel, accommodation or transfers. If we have to cancel or reschedule a tour due to weather or other reasons, we will not be liable to pay for the cost of your hotel, accommodation or transfers (Airlines, Car etc).
- We will not be responsible for your medical or travel insurance if the unforeseen circumstance was to happen.
- We will not be responsible for your meals outside of working hours.
- Your place as a Marine Volunteer will not be confirmed until we have payment in full or unless discussed otherwise.
- We will not be responsible for refunding you if you are a ‘no show’ on the day of your tour without any warning.
- No refund will be provided for cancellations made less than 48 hours in advance, or no show.
- A cancellation fee of 20% applies for cancellations or booking changes made less than 14 days in advance.
- A 10% fee will be charged for cancellation or booking changes more than 14 days prior to departure
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us